Friday, December 23, 2005

Mary, Mary, quite Stuarty.

Last night we went to the theatre in London to see an excellent play called Mary Stuart at the Apollo Theatre in Shaftesbury. It was a little confusing at first because I thought it was about the woman who writes these books. I kept sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for King Arthur and Merlin to stroll on stage! Imagine my surprise when they didn't!

Then I got a little confused and thought it might have something to do with Patrick Stewart or maybe Jackie Stewart. I wouldn't mind seeing a theatre play based on the life of Jackie Stewart! Maybe they would have real race cars running around on the stage! That would be brilliant! Vroom vroom!

At the interval I went out to the lobby and bought myself a chocolate ice with a little plastic spoon and also decided to spend some of my pounds and pence on a theater programme. That was a very smart move! It told me all about Mary Stuart, who was the Scots sister of Queen Elizabeth*, and how Queen Elizabeth put her in jail. Boo! Boo on you, Queen Elizabeth! When I see you do your annual Christmas address on the television on Christmas Day, I will be sure to boo and hiss you.

At the end there was a very sad bit when Queen Elizabeth (boooo!) had Mary Stuart's head chopped off. I was very alarmed and could barely keep from shouting out at the stage but then at the end of the play Mary Stuart came out with everyone else and held Queen Elizabeth's hand and they all took a bow. I'm glad they made up at the end after all. Also, it's good that they didn't chop her head off because then they would need a new actress every night (and twice on matinee days).

Anyways, it was a fun night out at the theatre, and the chocolate ice was delicious.

*Even though she did not talk in a Scots accent, like Scotty or Jackie Stewart.


No comments: