Thursday, September 21, 2006

Musical chairs.

A little behind on comics blogging because I'm helping John paint the living room (and trying not to get painty hoofprints on the hallway floor). So instead, let's go to the Bully mailbag where I was tagged with a meme so long ago that I can't remember who tagged me. (Step forward if it was you!) This one's a musical meme and I have procrastinated on it but been 'specially keen to do it, 'coz you know I love my music, my iPod, and my vast collection of virtual music.

1. Total amount of music files on your computer:
The new iTunes (7.0) allows you to see the different categories of files separately (it actually takes some getting used to that way), so I'll break it up: 14252 music and music video files (total 37.1 days of uninterrupted play, 50.91 GB); 32 movie files (ripped by myself from my own DVDs using the excellent and simple-to-use HandBrake; total 2.1 days, 12.15 GB), 67 TV shows (also ripped from DVDs, 1.5 days, 9.54 GB) and 33 podcasts (21.2 hours, 854.5 MB). No, I don't have them all on my iPod at once. I'd need the new 80GB iPod for that. I'm waitin' for the 100GB sideways widescreen model, I am.

2. The last CD you bought was:
I don't buy as many CDs as I used to, not because I prefer my old music to modern music but mostly because I'm on an economy drive and need to buy many fewer CDs than I used to. On the other hand, I couldn't resist picking up a used copy of The Land Where the Good Songs Go: The Lyrics of P. G. Wodehouse last week. You know what a Wodehouse fan I am, and this is a luverly and sunny collection of some of his greatest lyrics ("Anything Goes," "Bill," "You're the Top," and the greatest title ever for a love song, "You Can't Make Love by Wireless"), snazzy Wodehouse lyrics set to music by a few guys you may have heard of: Jerome Kern, George Gershwin, Ivor Novello and Cole Porter. As far as I'm concerned most everything Mister Wodehouse touched turned to gold (altho' he really should have given a second thought to broadcasting for the Germans), so this is a delight and a half.

Yes, I'm a little stuffed bull who listens to showtunes. What's yer point?

3. What is the song you last listened to before reading this message?
"Darwin Star," by Des'ree. A superb, moody song from her underrated sophomore album. Reminds me a bit of Tanita Tikaram or Tasmin Archer. I love all three of 'em, but no, I'm not just namedropping them here in an attempt to be cool—remember, little stuffed bull who loves showtunes.

4. Write down 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.
"Goodnight Moon" by Shivaree. Especially the spooky spoken-word part near the end. Aiiie! It's gonna eat my head.
"It's in Every One of Us" by Dayna Manning. Yes, it's a cover of the song from that John Denver/Muppets Christmas special.
"A Sorta Fairytale" by Tori Amos. Much of Tori's more recent work I can admire but don't especially obsess over; this is an exception. Can't stop listening to it.
"On Her Majesty's Secret Service" by the John Barry Orchestra. Not that I don't love Lulu and Shirley and Tom and Carly and Sheena, but this is simply the best and most sublime James Bond theme, ever. There's a little bridge in it which sends a chill up my spine. If I had a spine instead of fluff.
"Still" by Alanis Morrisette. I'm not 'specially religious but this is how I think I would like to imagine God viewing us—with dismay but love. Sadly more appropriate than ever.

5. Who are you going to pass this stick to? (3 persons) and why?
Nope. This is a "pick-up" meme. If you wanna do it, grab a ticket and go to it. I won't point in anyone's direction...this is an all-volunteer action.

1 comment:

Matthew E said...

The Land Where the Good Songs Go: The Lyrics of P. G. Wodehouse

I must obtain at least two copies of this as soon as possible.