Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Bullgle

Traffic, I get traffic. Thanks to the magic of StatCounter and Technorati, I now know that surfers on the Wonderful World of Web find me not entirely by chance but through the good graces of the rest of you out there in the comicsblogoshmere. In addition to my regular thirty-seven readers, I've been fortunate enough to get links from some very pleasant, wonderful, and fabulous bloggers throughout the comicsothingamajig. Since I've been raised to be a very polite little stuffed bull, I say 'thank you!' and salute sharply all those who have sent readers my way: fine folks like Steven, Tegan, Ragnell, Kevin, The Fortress Keeper, Mike, Dorian, H, Eddie, and everyone and anyone who's posted my little stuffed blog in their sidebar or in a post or who clicked through from one of my pointless and rambling comments. I thank Dave for quite possibly the coolest Un-Prize anyone has ever sent me. I thank all the fine folk who comment on my blog. Heck, I even thank Giraffo, you pompous long-necked freak. I thank y'all and urge everybody to go check out all their blogs, all in a row. G'wan, go ahead! You didn't have to go to work today, did you?

While much of my blog traffic comes from those good folk (especially Dorian's "Just Remember" meme...I'm still gettin' traffic on that), once in a while somebody finds me via a search engine or some such terwilliger. Imagine my surprise the day my hits went well over one thousand just because I retyped a joke about Joss Whedon from Futurama Comics. Awwww, thanks for the hits, guys...but seriously, that's a little obsessive.

Among all sortsa special data like time, temperature, and the pH index of my blog, StatCounter tells me when someone clicks through from Google or Yahoo or AltaVista or Hotbot (okay, okay, not so much the last two) by searching for a keyword or phrase. Proving that there are plenty of smart people out there in the ethersphere, many of you got exactly where you needed to be by searching for such phrases as comics oughta be fun or little stuffed bull or the best stuffed animal in the universe.

But some of you got misdirected to my site while you were lookin' for something else. It's a common feature here in the comicsblogowhirligig for bloggers to post the oddball search queries that brought people to their sites, and sometimes to poke gentle, fond fun at them with the best of intentions, hmm? Well, I'm gonna go that one better and actually help people get to where they thought they were gonna get, by posting their misdirected search queries and telling them where they probably shoulda gone in the first place. I call it...

Bullgle

Misdirected search query: is there a photo of marvel comic writer sid jacobson: Why, of course there is, and I don't know how you lived so long without it. Click here for a peek. Hey, he kinda looks like Gene Roddenberry, don't he?

Misdirected search query: what kind of ferrari did thomas magnum drive?: That's a Ferrari 308 GTS, Selleck fans, and you can see some photos of them here and here. At the bottom of this page is a photo of Magnum posing in front of that famous car, and by golly, he's a handsome, handsome man, ain't he?

Misdirected search query: outdated comics marvel title x-men along came a spider: I dunno if you'd call it outdated because it's still as fun as the day it was printed, but you're lookin' for X-Men #35 (August 1967). It's a comic so dynamic Cyclops will bend over backwards for you! If that comic book's a little too rich for your blood, try the reprint in X-Men #83.

Misdirected search query: books on new movie the ant bully: Hey, why are you lookin' for books on the internet anywhere but...


Misdirected search query: marvel heroes made of clay: Hmmm, I'm a little bit baffled on this one. You'd have more luck over at DC where I can think of at least one hero and one villain made of clay, but I'm blankin' on one over at Marvel. I can show you a Nazi made of bees if you want, but as far as I can think of unless the Bully Brigade gives me a hint, this guy plus this guy is probably about the closest you're gonna get.

Misdirected search query: future marvel essentials: If you love the Marvel Essentials as much as I do, bookmark this page and return frequently for essential Essential essentials. Essentially, that's all ya need.

Misdirected search query: comics about romans: Well, of course you've always got this, this, and this, but for sheer crazy Roman entertainment in the comics medium, the cream of the crop surely is these. Grab a stack of 'em, settle down with a roast boar and get ready for one of the best reading experiences of your life.

Misdirected search query: t.v.cartoon dogs dressed like sherlock holmes: Here ya go.:
All this and the HAIR BEAR BUNCH too...? That's the BEST COMIC EVER!


Misdirected search query: pee wee playhouse post-crisis: I actually don't have any idea of what you were looking for, my friend, but may I say: that is the single best concept for a post-Crisis on Infinite Earths tie-in series ever!!!

Misdirected search query: comics of family guy having sex: Oh come on. You oughta be ashamed of yourself. Get off my website. Get off my website! I know where you live, Ft. Lauderdale sleazy surfer! Get the heck off my website, you sicko!

Ahem. Anyway, if you want to search the web the Bully way, remember you can search the Little Stuffed Bull way any time you want by using Bullgle as your own personal search engine! Or, make your own personalized search webpage right here, but by golly, when you've got a little stuffed bull peering with his telescope across the World Wide Web for ya, why would you wanna search with anyone else?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

pee wee playhouse post-crisis

Well, Paul Reubens realized there were infinite Earths with infinite words of the day being infinitely screamed at that just drowned everything out, so in a lost episode he just simplified it down to one Earth with one word of the day. It was also good because he wouldn't run out of words to use right from the start.

David C said...

You're so helpful for a li'l stuffed bull!

Bill D. said...

Someone once found their way to my blog by typing in the question "How old to UI have to be to own a knife." And I couldn't help thinking that if you have to ask, you're too young.

MD said...

I remember a Golem character from Marvel's Invaders series from the 70's. He was made out of clay by a rabbi from the ghetto...

...from the ghet-to...