Thursday, July 03, 2008

Gail Ann Dorsey.

Gail Ann Dorsey. I'd never heard of her before today, when Lucy-Anne played me an Indigo Girls live cover of "Midnight Train to Georgia" featuring Gail Ann. The liner notes read "One of my favorite songs of all time. We only perform it when Gail Ann Dorsey is with us."

Googling her turned up, in the first few results, her collaboration with David Bowie on his Reality tour: a live version of one of my favorite songs of all time. The original is tough to beat, but this version just fills me with awe and wonder:



I'm definitely picking up her stuff, tout sweet. There's something wonderful about discovering a new talent you've never known before. It's even more wonderful when that talent absolutely blows you away.




3 comments:

CLM said...

That's how I feel about Cake. Their Comfort Eagle album (cd) is the only one I have ever been tempted to play at work. Normally I don't care for music in the office, although I get plenty of it from the woman next door who trills opera to herself all day - right on the other side of my wall!

wheelmaker said...

Awesome performance. She is on a song on Dar Williams' live CD too, but I had never looked up her other work before. Off to iTunes!

Heavy T. Skubbs said...

I was excited because I thought I was going to get to hear "Ice, Ice Baby." What I got was way better though.

Note: I didn't actually expect Vanilla Ice.