Sunday, June 07, 2009

Thirty of a Kind: When up from the ground came a bubblin' a monster (Mole Man's monster, that is)























































I'm sure I've missed some (I'm told there's a scene in an episode of the Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes cartoon series that duplicates it, as well as other scenes within comics. Here's three more lovely homages that aren't comic book covers, but let's add 'em to the lineup:
All those covers, all those homages and parodies and salutes to Jack Kirby's iconic cover of Fantastic Four #1...and we still don't know who the heck tied up Reed.

(More Ten of a Kind here.)


12 comments:

Rob McMonigal said...

How many of those covers is Byrne up to be now? 10?

Great collection--as soon as I saw it, I was thinking, "Hey, I wonder he'll find the Organic Gardening one?"

Jacque Nodell said...

Those were really fun to see all assembled in one place! I especially like the Organic Gardening one!!!

Anonymous said...

The second opening sequence of the 1994 cartoon also has a version of the cover.

Jake said...

There's also a panel in Exiles 67 that parodies the cover

Sol (Frederick) Badguy said...

The Homer cover is by far the best.
Defeat the big beats, free springfield by exciling or killing it

Phillip said...

Hey! I actually have that issue...









...of Organic Gardening!

SallyP said...

I really am quite astonished by the Organic Gardening cover. Obviously, SOMEbody had a sense of humor.

Bill D. said...

Now if only we knew who tied up Reed in the first place!

Erich said...

"I can't turn invisible fast enough!"
"Well, sis, since it already has you in its grip, invisibility is kind of a moot point right now."

Suzanne de Nimes (suedenim) said...

I note with interest that the creators of Los 4 Fantasticos are pretty much the *only* people to notice how nonsensical it is for Reed to be tied up in the original!

Siskoid said...

You've got a lot of them there. The only ones I think you missed are the Ren & Stimpy Show Special Four Swerks, PvP #2, and The Tenth Muse #1B (Avatar). Possibly IDW's Transformers #1 and its oblique homage.

googum said...

In other news, the city street repair budget was expended, for the thirtieth straight time...