Saturday, March 16, 2013

365 Days of DC House Ads, Day 75


House ad for Showcase #101 [Hawkman] (June 1978); printed in Batman #300 (June 1978)
Comic cover art: pencils and inks by Joe Kubert
1961 ad designed and lettered by Ira Schnapp, repurposed for 1978, new lettering by Gaspar Saladino (?).
If anybody know in which issue I can find the original, let me know, and I'll post it here as well!

EDIT: A special thanks (and a hawk-winged Bull-Prize) goes to "Mighty" MarcusB, who gave me a link that showed me the original ads were published in DC Comics in early 1961. Using that as a lead, I found a couple examples in Justice League of America #5 (June-July 1961) and The Flash #110 (March 1961), ads hawking Hawkman, the original!


Thanks for your keen detective work, MarcusB! And in the words of Hawkman: Wheet! Wheet!


3 comments:

MarcusB said...

The original from 1961 is here: http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/527/

Bully said...

Thank you, MarcusB. You have the ever-lasting gratitude of a li'l stuffed bull!

Blam said...


Awesome! Nice work, guys!

I bought this ish off the racks, bee-tee-dubs, and can attest to the fact that it was not that thick.